Friday, October 9, 2009

Busted

The evening of August 18, I found out our dryer had no heat. I quickly found out you can't dry clothes with no heat. So here I was with one load of wet clothes in the dryer and one in the washer. Luckily the kids still had some undies and clothes to wear to school the next day. Since Jon, Hayden, and I go to my parents house on Wed mornings to lift weights I brought those two wet loads and was able to get the small load of whites dried before we were done and was able to start the other load. When I got home, I washed another load at home and dropped them off at my parents house to dry while I went grocery shopping. Luckily my mom was out of town and wasn't needing the dryer. I guess all in all it wasn't too much of a pain. The big pain was trying to figure out what was wrong with the dryer without hiring and paying a bunch of $$ for someone to fix it. I love the Internet. I just typed in google what was wrong with the dryer and up popped up some great info. The only problem was it could be a couple of things. So what to try. We decided to try the most obvious one first. Of course that part wasn't cheap. So Jon headed off to Sears to buy the part. I can't really remember how much that part was but it was between $60-80 which to me seems like a lot for a part. Anyway, Jon put in the new part and we put some wet clothes in and let the dryer run for at least 10 minutes to heat up. Well over 10 minutes later nothing still no heat. So it was back to the Internet for me search for the next common problem it could be. This time Sears was out of the part so I had to search for another place that Jon could go to and pick up the part. I really didn't want to wait for it to arrive in the mail nor did I want to pay more than the part cost for them to overnight it. Anyway this part only cost $25. It worked. Now we are stuck with a expensive part we didn't end up needing. Oh well, I guess we will just hold on it. I am so happy we were able to fix it on our own and not spend who knows what for a guy to fix it for us.

No comments: