Sunday, May 31, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

This Mother's Day I am trying to look at it a little differently. Instead of it being a day that I am honored and I just sit around while everyone serves me and I expect them to serve me (not really, but I did use it to my advantage when I had kids in diapers if ya know what I mean). Or being a day that I feel a little guilty for not being the kind of mother I wish I was. I am looking at it this way that I am honored to be a mother. As far as I can remember, I have always wanted to be a wife and mother. When people would ask clear back in elementary school what do you want to be when you grow up, the first thing that would pop in my head would be, I want to be married and be a mom. Of course, all the other girls would say teacher or nurse, but hey isn't a mother that and so much more. I feel very blessed to be a mother not to just one but six kids. I know a few people who can't have kids or who can only have one or two who really would love to have more or at least one and my heart just aches for them. I love being a mother and wouldn't change it for the world. I love my mother and the example she set for me and my sisters by being a stay at home mom. I feel very blessed to be able to stay at home with my children and care for them. I wouldn't change being a stay at home mom for anything not even for a bigger house, a car with all the bells and whistles, or expensive vacations etc. I love and want to be the one teaching my kids, helping my kids, driving my kids, just being with my kids, and knowing where my kids are at all times and hopefully being a great example to them. I also want to be an example to my daughters and let them know that it is great to be a stay at home mom and hopefully they will put being a stay at home mom at the top of their list once they are married and start having a family of their own.
Jon didn't have early church meetings this morning so it was nice to have him around to help out. The past 3 years during part of the 3rd hour at church the men would set up half of the cultural hall with chairs and a table filled with desserts. The men are to buy or bake their wife's favorite dessert. The Young Women would fill in for Primary. Then when church was over it was a free for all for the Primary kids. I think this year had more store bought things than previous years probably more than 80% were store bought not that there is anything wrong with store bought as long as it is their wife's favorite. But come on Little Debbie snacks as someones favorite, yes I do like a couple of the Little Debbie snacks but I wouldn't call them my favorite. Whatever!!
After church, we had my parents and Taylor and Christa and her family over for dinner. It was our turn for the break the fast meal the previous Sunday but my parents and Taylor couldn't make it so we change it. We had what I call a mini Thanksgiving dinner. I bought a couple turkey's last month. They were selling them real cheap the week after Easter. So we had turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, 3 layer jello salad, homemade bread, and some watermelon (because after all it is spring). For dessert we had a big double decker cookie cake from Sam's Club. It was all yummy and not much work to do the day of.

2 comments:

Beth Soelberg said...

Hey Gretta! Sounds like you've been BUSY over the last month or so...

Loved your Mother's Day post! (I'm going to "suggest" that our ward leadership eliminate their early-morning meetings on Mother's Day.)

We ARE lucky to be moms! :)

Leanne said...

What a great post. I needed the reminder that I'm important being a stay at home Mom too. Sometimes I feel like people are looking down on me like I didn't accomplish anything in life because I'm just a Mom.

I loooove the dessert idea that your priesthood does! Beth can suggest the no early meetings (great idea!) and I'll suggest the favorite dessert thing with the YW taking over the primary. Genius!