Friday, May 15, 2009

Happy Easter

Saturday evening Jon and I gave the kids their Easter baskets. We usually do some sort of hunt for them whether it's looking for their certain color of eggs or a treasure hunt in search of some sort of present. Not this year. We were (mainly I was but it didn't take much to talk Jon out of it) to tired and hadn't been home all day from being at Cheri's house to do any of that this year. I only had a little left over candy that didn't fit into the 60 eggs I had to fill for the egg hunt but I did have some presents for each of them. Since they already got lots of candy and they aren't real big candy eaters we bagged the candy and gave them their presents. We usually do our family egg hunt the week before so the kids are ready for more candy a week later. I didn't want more toys so I decided to give them books.
Brenton got a new set of scriptures with a case since he lost his over a year ago (Now I know why his first set of scriptures after he was baptized were the cheapest you could get). These ones were expensive and we even had his name engraved on them. My hope is they will last at least through seminary and maybe even his mission if we are lucky.
















Payton got a new dress for church (well new to her I bought it at a consignment sale). I know it is sleeveless. I also bought her a cute short sweater to go over it also thanks to a consignment sale. She also got stickers to put in her scriptures. She was looking at some of my old scriptures that Brenton had been taking to church and loved the stickers I had in there. She also got a Sleeping Beauty crayola wonder book with markers that can only show up Crayola Wonder paper. I love those books. They are great for church, but they are costly. I picked a bunch up at Toys R Us when they had them buy one get one free.


















Kennedy also got a new to her dress that has been in the garage for two years since Payton out grew it. She loved it and didn't care that Payton used to wear it. She also got some books that are at her grade level that she can read all by herself (Hurray!!) and a Tinker Bell Color Wonder book.






















Talmage got an Alien Color Wonder book and some Little Critter books as well as a book about Snakes and a dog named Sam.


















Hayden got a puzzle book, a search and find Thomas book, and a Diego Color Wonder book.
Connor could really care less about the whole thing. I know I got him something but don't remember really what it was and I don't have a picture of him because like I said before he could care less. I'm sure it was something he could feel and hold onto.

Then on Easter Sunday we went to church. I only had 3 kids in my class (there is usually 6 or 7). Went home for a few hours and went to my parents house for Easter dinner. We had the usual, ham, potato casserole, rolls, and pineapple. We also had sweet potato pudding and broccoli salad which we usually don't have but they sounded yummy so why not. I made the broccoli salad and potato casserole. For dessert we had chocolate peanut butter cake, and a sunflower cake made with peeps. We also celebrated Eliza's 3rd birthday since it was in less than 2 weeks and the family was all together.

On Monday, the day after Easter, I went to Target and Walgreens and bought a few Easter things for 1/2 off. I love going to Target after a holiday for the 1/2 off things. I usually buy the small toys that are stocking stuffers, to put in Easter baskets, Halloween treats etc to fill up our treasure box. We use this treasure box for a variety of different things. Some times they want to pick out of it for their report cards, if they get the best listener award 5 times, or if we have lost something and can't find it after looking for days we will let the person who finds the item pick out of the treasure box. I also bought candy. Not lots some for that nights family home evening since they kind of got ripped off from the Easter bunny and the rest for storage. If I have to eat from my food storage, candy will be a nice bonus and what a better bonus when getting it 1/2 off.

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Great post. I like how you give the Easter baskets on Saturday instead of Sunday. Guess I should learn from that. My kids are older now though and they don't really care about it so much. They do like treats and that's about all they get. I can't afford real gifts. Ava didn't even really care about her basket this year! I have nothing to blog about.lol.

We miss you guys. Can't wait to spend some time with you again. When will THAT be?!

Oh, and I lost the Glade candle coupon I had set aside for you. :( I will ask my friend Leslie or my niece Kara if they have any left that they wouldn't mind sharing. I don't think they planned on buying one.