Friday, November 18, 2011

Philmont Scout Camp

Every four years the scouts in our ward ages 14 and up can attend Philmont scout camp in New Mexico for 2 weeks.  Since Brenton was 14, he was able to go to Philmont and backpack for 2 weeks.  Jon was able to go with him.  They left on June 20th one week after we got back from our Disney vacation.  This is the first time Brenton has been on an airplane that he can remember.  He has flown a couple times when he was little.  This was a very expensive adventure paying for camp/food for 2 for 2 weeks, airline tickets for 2 (luckily we had credit card points which paid for one ticket), and supplies that we didn't already have on hand or couldn't borrow, but I know it will be one neither Jon or Brenton will forget. 
I must say the first couple days were weird not having either Jon or Brenton around and I missed them a lot especially at night when all the kids were in bed.  I did have lots of things I wanted to get accomplished while they were away.  I had bought a groupon coupon for 2 Blurb books.  This is the company I used to print out my first year blog book.  I had 2 more years waiting to be made into books so this coupon came at a great time and it was going to expire just a few days before Jon and Brenton arrived home.  So I spent a good week getting those two books all done and ordered.  I also was able to go through the kids clothes and take out the winter clothes from their drawers and replace them with their summer clothes. 
This was the longest Jon and I have ever been apart from each other since we have been married.  I think the longest was 7 or 8 days.  While they were gone they missed Payton's birthday, our anniversary, and Connor's birthday.  We did let Payton open up her presents on her birthday and went out for dinner for our anniversary when Jon got home.  We also tie died T shirts with the Tady's with Taylor's and mom's help.  The kids loved it and I think we will have to do it again next year.  I wish I would have taken some pictures of this or at least with their shirts on when they were all rinsed and washed and dried. 
Jon and Brenton had a good experience on their hike.  Jon got altitude sickness and it lasted for a few days.  After that he was good to go.  They said there was plenty of food.  Way too much for them to eat.  A few of the days when they had a long ways to hike they would wake up at 5 am to get an early start to beat the heat.  Brenton didn't care for this part at all. 
The hardest part while they were gone was not being able to talk with either of them. Not any cell phone signal in the middle of nothing.  A week into the hike I did get an email from one of the  dad's who went letting us know that everyone was alive and well.  I got a call from Jon the day before they were to arrive home because they were at base camp and had cell phone signal.  I am so glad Jon got to go with Brenton on this trip with him. 

No comments: