Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Strawberry picking

Christa heard about this you pick your own strawberries place and invited me to go with her and mom to try it out.  It was about a 45 minute drive.  We left as soon as all the kids were in school.  There were long rows and rows of strawberry plants.  We each picked 2  one gallon buckets.  The strawberries were yummy, but you could tell they weren't like the ones in the store as in they wouldn't last long before getting mushy.  Couple days tops and you would have to throw them out.  Each of us made strawberry freezer jam.  I have made 4 different types of freezer jam with different types of berries, but this strawberry jam is by far my favorite.  I made a couple loaves of bread to go with the jam.  Oh soooo yummy.  I couldn't stop eating it.  Next year I would love to either take the whole family and pick bucket loads and make lots of freezer jam.  Or I would be happy doing the same as this time since we would have more time since we don't have to be back early due to preschool. 
It also gave you a good workout since these berries are very low to the ground a lot of bending and squatting. 

No comments: