Friday, September 5, 2008

First Timer

Well today I did it and it only took 33 years to do. Today, August 3, 2008 I bore my testimony for the first time in Sacrament meeting. I know, what took me so long (fear, not having anything to say, freeze up, look like a dork I could go on and on). I have born my testimony before but not in a testimony meeting. I would do it after a talk or lesson and things like that never getting up on my own. Well I have to say it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. All week long I have been having this really strong feeling that I needed to bear my testimony on Sunday. I wanted to be first so I wouldn't have that nervous feeling anymore. I ended up being third. I guess others had the same idea as me. Our ward has no problem filling up all the time with testimonies. No awkward silence in our ward. I am a planner and like to have things written down so I don't forget anything so going up there with no paper to glance at was very hard and probably a big reason why I just didn't do it before hand. I bore my testimony of Joseph Smith. Jon and I have been watching a series of Joseph Smiths life from birth to death on the BYU channel. We tivoed it and would watch it on Sundays after putting the kids down to bed. I realized how much I didn't know about his life and all that he did for the church. I've been to Palmyra, Kirtland, and Nauvoo, been taught the first vision since I was in Primary and a few other popular stories (the one where Joseph wouldn't drink the alcohol before having leg surgery), seen Legacy but that was basically the extent. After watching this series, I really grew to love Joseph Smith and those early saints even more. I can't imagine going through all they went through. Being run out of their homes several times being persecuted. Near the end of Joseph's life he knew he wouldn't live much longer. He gave his life for the saints in Nauvoo. He knew a big mob was coming to wipe out the saints in Nauvoo. He turned himself in along with 3 others (John Taylor, his brother and one other) because he knew the mob wouldn't hurt the saints in Nauvoo because they wanted him and figured if they killed him they would destroy the church. I am grateful he gave his life for the true church and that the early saints had enough faith to keep going even when the prophet died. One of my ancestors on my moms moms side lived in Nauvoo and was a pioneer. Who knows where I would be if Joseph hadn't turned himself in probably not with the parents I have today. Thanks Joseph Smith for being such a great example and having so much faith. Hopefully, it wont take me 33 more years to do it again.

2 comments:

Beth Soelberg said...

I'm proud of you! I pretty much always look like a dork and start the "crying with a quivering chin" thing. But bearing your own testimony strengthens it and strengthens other people who hear it.

Leanne said...

I'm proud of you too. I haven't been up to the pulpit in a long time to bear my testimony.

You also kind of bore it right here on your blog. Thanks for sharing it with all of us. :)