Monday, July 28, 2008

I love ESY

This year Connor did extended school year (better know as ESY). Connor is my 10 year old non verbal son with autism. ESY is for special needs children. Basically what it is is they go to school 3 days a week for the whole month of June (so he goes to school 12 extra days). This is the first year Connor has gone to ESY. In previous years, they had certain criteria special needs children had to meet to qualify for ESY. Connor never qualified in the past for ESY. This year they took away the criteria and said any special needs child could go to ESY. And of course, I signed him up basically for 2 reasons. One so I could get a break from him. When Connor's schedule changes (like when he is out of school for awhile for summer or Christmas break) he does annoying things to deal with the change. This year he started the summer off by rearranging things. He mainly took things out of his room and put it someplace else in the house. He started out putting everything in his bathtub. Later I would put it all away and he would do it again. So I finally got smart and figured I would leave the things I didn't need in the tub and leave the tub full and then he would stop. No such luck. He just left the tub full and would put things in about 4 other places in the house. I still can't find a few things he has hidden. Finally, about 1 1/2 months after school got out he basically stopped and now has started tearing zip lock baggies. He tears the baggie right under the zip lock part. I had to lock them up probably until school starts. The second reason I wanted Connor to do ESY is so he could have some structure. With 6 kids, it is hard for me to give Connor or any of my children lots of individual attention. With 6 kids home all summer and a house and clothes to keep clean and activities to keep them busy Connor often doesn't get the structure he needs. ESY has been wonderful for the both of us. Connor loved it (well, at least I think he did. He didn't cry or whine getting on the bus every morning). I loved it too. It was nice having things stay where they belong for those few days. I just wish they would also have it in July.

2 comments:

Beth Soelberg said...

Good for you, and good for Connor! I think it's fantastic that your school district provides extras like this for their special needs kids, and it benefits parents and children alike.

You're one amazing mom!

Leanne said...

Both you and Jon are great parents. Connor is lucky to have a Mom with such patience.

I'm glad that your school district took away the criteria so all can benefit from it. I hope all schools have those types of programs, but I'm betting they don't. I remember you saying that part of the reason you moved was the school system.

For as many kids as you have, your house looks fabulous! You rock Gretta :)