Friday, February 8, 2013

Smart Phone

Our cell phone comany announce a super deal on the radio that Jon just happened to be listening to while taking Brenton to seminary.  They were giving free android smart phones with a 2 year contract.  Actually, the phone wasn't free.  It was free after the 2 rebates.  Since my contract was up and I have been using a flip phone from one of Jon's old employees that hasn't been with the company for going on 2 years now, Jon thought what a great time to upgrade.  I didn't mind my flip phone.  I rarely use my cell phone.  I am not a phone person.  I refused to text people.  Mainly because I was not about to do the AaBbCc thing since my phone wasn't a texting phone.  So Jon and I went to the store to check things out and I walked out with my first smart phone.  I am still not a phone person or a text person.  I do prefer to talk on the phone vs text.  I only text when I am picking up Brenton so he know's I am here and waiting for him only because if I call he still might be in Scouts or Young mens or another activity that I don't want ringing to disrupt. 
The only thing I don't like about smart phones is the fact that people are on theirs way to much and not communicating with people around them.  I have been to numerous activities and see lots of people on their phones instead of having converations with people right next to them.  It is really sad and I refuse to be one of those people.  That doesn't mean I don't check emails or facebook or look up something or things like that.  I just don't do it at activities with other people like Relief Society, school class parties or volunteering, and never during church meeting.  If I have to check my phone to see if I missed a call or text because I often have it on vibrate, I make sure I do it as quickly as possible.  I don't want my kids to be one of those kids who are on their phones texting the kids right next to them.  I want them to talk with them face to face.  So hopefully they will look to Jon and I and see that we are rarely on our phones while we are out and about and they too wont be on their when they get a cell phone.

No comments: