Friday, February 8, 2013

Black Friday on Thursday

Last year, we were in Disney World during Thanksgiving.  I'm not sure if this is the first year they started black Friday on Thanksgiving, but for me this is the first time I've heard of it.  I believe the earliest stores started opening was at 10 pm.
Since Jon's parents only stayed for a couple hours we had the rest of the day to just hang out as a family and look at the newspaper ads to see if we wanted to hit any stores.  Brenton had been saving most of his Miss Jan's lawn mowing money to buy a PlayStation 3.  He wanted to hit Toys R Us which opened it's doors at 10 pm because that had the best deal for the PlayStation.  We got to Toys R US an hour before the doors were to open.  It wasn't a real cold night, but cold enough to have a coat on and be fine.  I wasn't too worried about being one of the first people in line, because the item he wanted wasn't a hot ticket item.  Once the doors opened, they let about 50 people go in then wait 2-3 minutes and let another 50 and wait another 2-3 minutes and so on.  I think we were the 3rd or 4th group to be let in.  Once we got in, Brenton went straight to the video game section to get his Playstation while I went and picked up a few toys for the kids for Christmas that were at a great price.  I only got those because we were already there otherwise I wouldn't have made the trip just for those.  I met Brenton back at the video game section and found Brenton hadn't gotten the paper slip to take to the cash register to buy the item and then the worker's bring the item out from the back.  I guess they couldn't find them right away.  By the time they found the slip and handed one to Brenton, the check out line was already real long.  I think we waited around 30 minutes just to check out.  Once that was done, we stopped off at Walmart for about 5 minutes and it was such a mad house we went home.  Then at midnight Kohl's opened it's doors so I went by myself and bought me a pair of running shoes that were only $25 and a nice tie for Brenton.  Then I came home and went to bed only to wake up early to be at JoAnn Fabrics at 6 am.  Kennedy and Payton wanted to go, but only Kennedy ended up going with me Payton wanted to sleep in.  I wanted to by some flannel to make Brenton, Kennedy, and Payton some pajama bottoms.  I wish I would have picked a ticket for the cutting counter right when we got in the store, because we waited a long time to get our items cut because most of the people in front of us are serious sewers and had a couple carts full of fabric.  Luckily, they have a sound system that says the number that the whole store can hear.  So we looked around the store waiting for our number to be called.  Then we headed over to the mall and I bought some things at Bath and Body Works.  On the way home, I picked up some Krispy Kreme Donuts since it was still early when we got home and the kids hadn't eatten breakfast yet.  The rest of the day was spent relaxing and napping.    

No comments: