Friday, March 29, 2013

Safety Town

This is my 3rd and final time helping out at Safety Town.  Safety Town is run by the city of Roswell.  They set up a mock town with buildings, streets, and crosswalks in one of the gyms at Hembree park.  They also have a firetruck and police car in the parking lot.  Then they have any preschool, prek, and kindergarten classes around the area come and participate in this program.  Both Talmage and Hayden's prek class did this.  I didn't help in Talmage's prek but with his kindergarten class, and I went and help with Hayden's prek and kindergarten classes.  I wish I would of brought my camera to take pictures but I didn't.  They have 4 different groups rotate around the different areas.  The areas are talking with a lady about strangers and then touring the police car, touring a firetruck and talking with firemen about fire safety, and the last area is in the gym with the mock town and trading off between pedestrians and riders.  The pedestrians are split up into small group of about 3 people and they walk around the town in the cross walks and sidewalks while their leaders (volunteer parents which is what I did) walk with them and talk about traffic and road signs and visiting and talking about the different buildings.  Then pedestrians switch with the riders and they get to get to ride in big wheels on the mock street.  The leader is still with their group and help them with stop signs and traffic lights, and help them turn corners and stop before running into the big wheel in front of them.  Then the whole group comes together again and the director reviews what the kids have learned.  It is a great program and the kids just love it.  I am sad my children are all grown up and will no longer be doing this. 

No comments: