Thursday, April 1, 2010

Census 2010

Since January, I had been thinking about applying to work with the Census. So I looked up all about it on the Internet at the Census website and gave a call to the local Census office in our area to find out more. She told me my next step was to take the test. So on Saturday, February 13th, I headed over to some church not to nearby to take the test. I left, or so I thought, with plenty of time to get there since yesterday was snowy and today there was still icy patches where the shade covers the road. The on ramp to the freeway I needed to go on was blocked off due to a car crash. So I had to go back and around and take some back roads to get to the next exit up on ramp. Then my GPS told me the church was on the right and it was on the left so I had to turn around by this time I was supposed to be in my seat. So I turned around parked the car headed into the church and saw to the right a gym where people were playing basketball and then saw a sign off to the left saying Census with an arrow pointing to the left. So I ran down the hall and came to some stairs and didn't know if I should go up them or go straight there was no sign. So I walked straight and nothing so I ran up the stairs and saw a sign and got into the classroom. I was about 10 minutes late by this time and was hoping to just sneak in but there were only 4 other people besides the instructor in the room. So I signed in and took a seat and filled out some paper work that the others were working on. Luckily, I was in super speed mode and filled out all the paper work before at least two others. After the paper work, the instructor read off a bunch of stuff and then it was on to the test. I did print out the online practice test the day before and took it at home while my kids were running around along with their Tady cousins whom we were watching as part of a Christmas present we gave Christa and Aaron. We gave them a Macaroni Grill gift card and told them we would watch their kids when they go. So with all that racket I set the timer for 30 minutes and took the practice test. I think I did pretty good considering the noise and that I couldn't really concentrate. I missed 4 out of 28 questions. After we took the real test, which in some areas were easier than the practice test but others were a little more confusing at first. We had 30 minutes to answer 28 questions so just over a minute per question. She would let us know when 15 minutes were up and then when we had 5 minutes left. I had no problem completing all the question and had plenty of time to go back to the few I circled to reread and check over. Since there were only 5 people, she graded the tests right then and then gave us a sticky note with how many we got right. I only missed one question so I was pretty happy about that. I could see her while she was grading the tests so I know one other person missed one and another missed 2 and one got them all right and one missed a bunch. She said our class was the best scoring of all her classes so far.
If they call it will be in another month or 2. If I do get a job, it will most likely be calling or driving to peoples homes who didn't turn in their census forms and get them filled out all in the city where I live. It could last up to 3 months depending on how many people mailed in their forms in my area. At this point I don't really care if I get chosen or not I just thought it would be something worth trying out and make a little money on the side.

No comments: