Friday, January 16, 2009

What a Loser I am!!!

O.K. fast forward to today. I know what a shock that I am posting on the day that something happens. If I don't post it today, I will forget about it since this is not going on the calendar and that is how I usually post things by looking back at my calender or photos. Anyway, today is the coldest day they have seen in the Atlanta area in many years. We woke up to 12 F. I know all my Michigander friends reading this will say boo hoo. I have noticed they have had an unusually cold winter. We on the other hand have had a pretty mild winter. The last 2 weeks of December was awesome in the upper 50s - 60s. Anyway back to my story. So after Payton, Kennedy, and Connor were all gone and on the bus. I take Brenton, Talmage, and Hayden first to Brenton's bus stop and then I take Talmage to Pre K. So this morning we get into the garage and I always after going down the garage steps press the garage door opener to open the garage and then buckle Hayden in his car seat and away we go. Not this morning. I walked down the stairs and decided not to open the garage door now and wait until everyone was in the car and then open it since it was so cold out (by now you can probably tell what happens next). I got in my seat and pressed the garage door and went into my bag to find the keys. It took me a little while to find them (seemed longer than it actually was) then I put the keys in and backed up and crash right into the garage door that wasn't opened all the way. I immediately got out and called Jon. Because half of the garage door was off the track and a little bent up. He turned around from where he was going and I pushed Brenton out into the cold and told him he was going to have to walk really fast to the bus stop because he only had a minute or two before the bus was going to come. When Jon came back, he was able to push the garage door down and back into place (not on the tracks or anything since 3 rollers were off the door completely) so the freezing air wouldn't get into the garage and freeze our house up. Anyway, I took Jon's car and took Talmage to school. He was about 2 minutes late. Meanwhile, Jon was at home trying to price out new garage doors. The sad thing is this garage door is less than 2 years old and is 12 feet long so not the standard sizes which means it cost a lot more because you have to special order it. When we remodeled our kitchen less than 2 years ago, Jon added 3 feet onto our kitchen and garage (our garage is under our kitchen) so we used to have a standard 7 or 8 feet garage door with a big mother Yukon to fit into it (not so fun to park into the garage). So he made it wider so now you can whip into the garage no problem. If Home Depot had it in stock in their warehouse, it would take 2 weeks to get it. If they didn't have it in their warehouse, it would take 4 weeks. Basically the same thing with Lowe's. So he called a garage door company and they don't sell just garage doors they have to install it. So they gave us a quote for the garage door and installing it and hauling away the old one and they could do it on Monday. They didn't have the exact same garage door as we have right now in stock so they upgraded for free to one they did have in stock. There price for doing everything was basically the same price as just buying the garage door from Home Depot then Jon would have to install it and we would have to get rid of the old door (and that would all happen within 2-4 weeks and then add another few months before Jon actually installs it). I guess the good thing is that we have the cash to pay for it. Would have been nice to use it for something else but oh well that's the way life is. I can tell you this that will never happen to me again. I will be checking every time I get ready to back up from now on even if I know it is all the way up. So Monday we will have a nice new garage to to replace our nice new garage door that is all bent up.

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Oops. Crap happens huh?

Atleast it didn't sound like Jon was mad at you. I'm not sure how Rick would feel if it were me. I tend to do dumber things than that! Sounds like you won't be using your Yukon until atleast Monday since it's stuck in there huh? It happens.

And no, 12 degrees IS really cold and especially cold when you southerners aren't used to it. It's about 6 degrees here today, but I would still say 12 is cold. Lots of accumulating snow here too today. I went out to take Brycen to his first hockey lesson, but I don't want to go out again.

Hope all is well your way (besides the door!).