Sunday, June 5, 2011

I'm a GRAND PRIZE winner

Last week, (Feb. 20) I got a piece of mail from a gym that was scratch and win.  I get these from Kohl's all the time to see if you get an additional 15, 20, or 30% off your purchase.  So I scratched it off and what do you know I was a Grand Prize winner.  So I looked on the postcard to see what I won.  It said I won 2 free years enrollment at that gym.  I didn't think much of it and chucked it in my ever growing pile of papers I don't want to throw away right now but they will all end up in the trash in a few days.  So about 5 days later I'm looking for a specific paper and happen to come across this Grand Prize winner postcard again.  So I give them a call just to see what it's all about.  The guy on the other end of the phone was all excited when he heard I was a Grand Prize winner.  He said they sent out 25,000 postcards and only 25 were Grand Prize winners.  I was of course so excited.  I love running in the park, but wont when it rains or is below 25 degrees outside, and don't like to in the peak of summer when it is just too hot and humid and it is only 7:30 am.  I would mainly use the gym for weight lifting.  So I told Jon all about me being the Grand Prize winner and he immediately said to me there has got to be a catch.  I quickly talked him out of that.  I mean after all I am a Grand Prize winner.  So the next morning, Feb. 25th  I went in to the gym which is probably the closest gym to our house so double bonus for me the Grand Prize winner.
So when I arrive, they immediately get the guy I was talking to on the phone and again he said he couldn't believe I was a Grand Prize winner since they only sent out 25 of those.  Then he gave me a tour of the gym.  The only gym I have set foot in in my entire life is the YMCA when we lived in Michigan and I was in middle school and we would go every morning before school and I only remember swimming, but maybe did something else.  We also had a tour about 2 years ago of the YMCA here but I wasn't  impressed with what they had to offer our family.  To me they focused too much on the extra classes you have to pay an additional price for.  For example, we did go one day as a family as a free trial and the kids were so excited to go swimming since it was the middle of winter.  We go to the pool and half of the pool they were doing private swim lessons.  Yes half the pool for one kid.  Then the remaining half of the pool was split in half for water aerobics.  And we were left we the remaining half.  Which wouldn't be bad at all if this was an Olympic sized pool but no it was probably 1/2 the size of an Olympic pool.  So that was a big flop and I sure as heck wasn't going to travel that far for my workout.
O.K. so back to the tour he first takes me into a big empty room where they do all their classes like Zumba, Pilate's, yoga etc.  I have done Zumba twice and it was really fun.  Then on to the personal training room which I would probably never set foot in again since I wont be paying extra for that.  Then I went to the locker room.  The main room had lots of machines for weight training and cardio workouts.  I was a little intimidated because I have never used any of those machines in my life, except for an exercise bike but now they are all fancy it's not just hop on and start pedaling.  In high school, we went to the weight room once in a while, but now even those machines are as old as the dinosaurs.  The last part of the tour was the cardio theatre.  The play a movie in this big dark theatre room while you are on one of the cardio machines. 
Then he takes me to the front and we sit down so he can sign me up for my 2 free years.  Or so I thought.  He brings this piece of laminated paper and tells me O.K. here are our 2 gym packages.  The first one you pay $259.00 now and just $9.95 a month with no contract.  With this package you only have access to the big weight and cardio room.  Not the exercise classes or cardio cinema room.  Which he tells me they don't keep track of who is going where so basically you can go wherever you want. The second is a 2 year contract for $99 now and $19.95 a month for 2 years.  With this you have access to everything.  So in my mind I am thinking the second one is my Prize since I get in for free for 2 years right.  Wrong, then he tells me since I am the Grand Prize winner I don't have to pay the $99 and I get the first month for free or I can do the month to month option and only pay $75 now and $9.95 a month.  WHAT, don't they know I am the Grand Prize winner I don't have to pay for 2 years.  Then he has the nerve to ask me which one I wanted to sign up for.  UH, NONE LOOSER.  Then I did the old well I have to talk to my husband.  Because I was the Grand Prize winner I was going to sign Jon up so we would pay for him and I would be free and this changed everything.  So needless to say I was a bit disappointed.  The sales man told me I can sign the 2 of you up today and you have 15 days to try it out and you can cancel after that (Yeah right I'm not that dumb).  I told the guy we wouldn't be able to come in to work out until Monday at the earliest which is true I already did my workout today (Friday) and Jon was going on a 5 mile hike with he boy scouts tomorrow and we don't exercise on Sunday to which he said I will have your 15 days start on Monday.  At that point it was all about the sale for him which I really hate and that just makes me not want to be a part of it at all.  I finally told the guy that my husband wants to come in and get a tour  and see what he is paying for and he wants me to bring home the contract so he can read it.  To which he replied we don't have any contracts for you to take home it is all done on the computer.  Yeah whatever, you think we are going to read  the contract off your computer screen and then sign like we do for credit cards at the grocery store, I don't think so.  So it was left that the soonest we could come back is Monday morning but wasn't sure what Jon's work schedule was, but now I know what his work schedule will be.  He will be working and will NEVER have time to come in.  Sorry guy you just lost me, my husband, and any of the people I might have referred to your gym.  So my big Prize was I didn't have to pay the start up fee for the 2 year contract or I got a discount on the month to month start up fee.  Yeah, some great Grand Prize winner I am.
I know I got my hopes up because Grand Prize winner to me is a big deal.  The McDonald's monopoly game grand prize is 1 million, I have seen grand prize trips all inclusive.  Full set of kitchen appliances.  Not oh as the grand prize winner we will pay for the delivery and set up of those kitchen appliances you just have to pay for the appliances.

No comments: