Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Uninvited guests

For a month now we have had a lot of uninvited guests, head lice. It all started with Payton complaining on Labor day that her head was itchy. I told her it was probably from sand being in her hair because we were at the beach and we would wash her hair good when we got home. Well a few days later she was still scratching her head. She asked me about lice and I told her she probably didn't have it but I would check her out a little. I couldn't find anything (of course I didn't really know what I was looking for). To make a long story short she kept itching her head for 3 weeks. In those 3 weeks we changed shampoo and gave her some anti itch shampoo. We thought maybe the change in seasons was causing her head to itch (even though it was fall it still felt like summer so I didn't really think that was it). Finally we got the call from the school nurse. Your daughter has head lice. So I went to pick her up. Actually, I was already headed to her school to do Science on a Cart for her class. Luckily Jon was on his way home so I picked up Payton (the nurse also checked Kennedy but she was lice free). Ran into CVS pharmacy and picked up some lice shampoo and met Jon there and he took Payton and Hayden back home while I went back to the school to do Science on a Cart. I don't volunteer to often because I have always had kids home I try to go to the kids Christmas, Valentines day, and end of the year parties. So the one time I volunteer for something other than those parties my kid isn't even there. Oh well. Jon shampooed her hair and bagged up all the stuffed animals and dolls in the girls room while I was at the school. When I got home I washed all their bedding and used that nice lice comb and combed her hair. Found quiet a few live lice combing out her hair (gross). Poor thing she had a lot of lice and eggs in her hair they have been partying for 3 weeks. Well the next morning I had Jon check my hair because I noticed I had been itching my hair for a little bit but not like her though. Sure enough I had lice too. So I did the whole shampoo thing and Jon picked through my hair. I didn't have very many eggs at all and he never did find any live ones. And 2 weeks later Kennedy had lice. So this past month we have been having regular head checks to remove any lice and eggs. Thank goodness the nightmare is almost over. As of now I can only spot a couple eggs in Payton's hair and a few more in Kennedy's hair. She has only had lice for 2 weeks so I probably have 2 more weeks with her. I remember having lice as a kid one time (got it from the softball batting helmet) but I don't remember the constant head checks every few days.
There is one thing I am grateful for that I have more boys than girls (never thought I would say that sometimes they can drive me crazy unlike my girls who are usually really good). It is harder for boys to get lice because there hair is short.
We did give the girls shorter hair cuts (you will have to see what their hair looks like on another post because I am to lazy to try and find one and they are at school so I can't take their picture now) so it would save time on searching for those little buggers.
I guess I am officially out of the running for the best mother of the year award. Bad mom letting your kid itch like crazy for 3 weeks.

1 comment:

Leanne said...

No way...you're not a bad mom! haha. You said you checked and didn't see anything, so you DID do what you were supposed to. Heck, you bought her new shampoo etc. Stuff happens.
Did you ever figure out where she got the lice? Maybe it was in the sand at the beach or something. Weird. I remember doing tons of lice checks at the elementary where I worked in Hart with the migrant kids. Lice was rampant there. I know just what to look for now. Luckily my kids haven't had lice. Knock on wood. :)