Friday, November 21, 2008

Mommy and Me Night

Last month we started a new tradition in our family. It is called mommy and me night. With having 6 kids and 5 of them in school it is very hard for me to get one on one time with each of my kids. By the time they get home from school they get a snack, do homework, I make dinner, they get some time to play, some days there is scouts/music/activity days, and then it is time to get ready for bed. Jon came up with the idea of me taking one kid a week and going out and doing something just the 2 of us. So every Thursday I get to take one of the kids and go out for about 1 1/2 hours and do whatever they want (mommy approved of course). Brenton and I went first. We decided to go to Target (the dollar baskets in the front of the store. Love those) and the Dollar Store to find some cheap but good items to stock up for our treasure box. We use the treasure box for when the kids do something good at school, get the best listener 5 times at home, or if we loose something we will often use that as a way for the kids to help find something. Anyway, it was great to get to talk to Brenton and find out what was going on in his life without being interrupted by the other kids or video game. Payton and I went the following week and we went to a few places that carry Webkinz because that is what she wanted for getting a good report card a few weeks back. I was happy to finally find the one she wanted four stores later. When it was Kennedy's turn, she wanted to go to the mall. We looked around the Disney Store, Hallmark store, she got a cookie, and then we spent the rest of the time at the American Girl Doll Store. She was not very happy that we didn't buy anything but a cookie. Talmage and I went yesterday. He wanted to go to the Dollar store to buy a gumball machine and then to Walmart to spend his $10.00 he got for his birthday last month. He bought some Indiana Jones guys. The kids are already talking about wear they want to go next time. Hayden has mommy and me time every Mon-Fri while the kids are at school. I don't do it with Connor having autism and can't talk and he doesn't really care to go out to stores (it is too cold to go outside) or care about the one on one time.
I hope this will last every week since the kids are growing up so fast.

No comments: