Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Happy Independence Day

Well the kids started school yesterday (Aug. 11), and I am only on July 4th. I hope within the next 2 weeks I can get caught up now that my day isn't full of kids.
This Independence Day started out with Jon and Brenton going to the Peachtree Road Race in downtown Atlanta. Jon's dad was running in it with about a bazillion other people. They never did see him run. They just caught up with him in the end. It is the most popular race in Atlanta and was a 10 K. When they got back, we headed out to the city pool. Every year they cook up hot dogs, and do a coin toss, races, and splash contests. We have been doing this long enough to call it a tradition.

Hayden looking for coins in the kiddie pool

Talmage and Kennedy searching for coins in the kiddie pool
Brenton in the noodle race

Payton in the noodle race

Taylor with Kennedy, Jon with Talmage, and Gretta with Hayden in the piggy back race



Gretta with Hayden in the piggy back race

Gretta round 2 with Kennedy in the piggy back race


We left just before the splash contest so we could give Hayden a short nap before going over to the Bugee's house for dinner. The Bugee's, Edwards, and us were there. My dad and the Tady's were out of town. We had hamburgers, potato salad, watermelon, chips, corn on the cob, and IBC Root beer. Then an hour later we were off to the fireworks. They shoot off the fireworks at the high school which is less than 2 miles from my parents house. We watch the fireworks in the shopping center parking lot (the grass area) across the street from the high school. My parents every year go early in the day and put a huge tarp on the hill. We have had this spot for over 3 years now. We had lots of people with us this year to watch the fireworks. Besides the people who were at my mom's house to eat, there were Jon's brother and family (and a family they invited from their ward), Jon's dad and his dad's brother (visiting from Portland), and the Bothwell's (they go to our ward and used to live next door to us but moved about 1 1/2 miles away 2 years ago). And of course we can't forget the Carmel brownies, and mini chip brownies my mom made. They are probably my 2 favorite desserts.

Morgan and Jon

Hayden with cousin Paige

Hayden

Brenton and Payton

Talmage with sparklers


Brenton with sparklers

Kennedy with sparklers

Fireworks

more fireworks

Front don't know 2nd row Talmage, Kennedy Kayla, 3rd row Brenton, Payton, Gretta, Hayden, and last row Melanie, Elizabeth, Thomas, Preston and Paige

Once the fireworks started, I only took pictures for 1 minute and then put my camera away so I could enjoy the show.

I am truly grateful for and awesome country I live in. I am thankful for what our forefathers did so I could live in a free country. I often take what I have for granted until I see or hear about other countries and what they don't have (this could be freedom all the way up to luxuries (fridges, washer, driers, microwave, computers etc). Now since it is really Aug 12 and the Olympics started a few days ago. Go USA!!!

No comments: